|

NEWS RELEASE
COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE DEMOCRATS
Congressman John D. Dingell, Ranking Member
For Immediate Release
Monday, August
16, 2004
|
Contact:
Jodi Seth/Dingell
202-225-3641
Edith Robles/Solis
202-225-5464 |
Dramatic Funding
Shortfalls Revealed
In Superfund Program
Washington, DC - Congressman John D. Dingell,
Ranking Member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, and Congresswoman
Hilda L. Solis, Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Environment and Hazardous
Waste today released a letter sent to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
about information received by the Committee regarding large funding shortfalls
in the Superfund program. New information obtained from EPA staff now reveals
the shortfall will grow far worse for the third consecutive year. A series of
Inspector General reports previously revealed funding shortfalls for the past
two years.
Funding shortfalls for new cleanup projects are
creating a large backlog of projects. For this fiscal year, according to EPA
staff, 46 sites in 27 states will be inadequately funded or will receive no
funding at all accounting for a $263.1 million shortfall. A few new projects may
be partially funded, but shortfalls for other projects that are not currently on
the list are expected to be added, causing the shortfall to increase even
further. The shortfalls continue a trend. In 2002, they were estimated at $114.8
million and last year, they were estimated at $174.9 million. The projects
designated to receive no funding are listed on the Superfund National Priority
List, which identifies the nation's most toxic waste sites that pose the
greatest risk to the environment and public health.
EPA has repeatedly requested less funding then
needed and opposed reinstatement of the polluter tax, which was at one time used
to help pay for cleanup. "It is not surprising that the Administration is
operating in secret on yet another issue, but EPA efforts to downplay the
problem by calling neglected sites 'stabilized' is contradicted by the facts
on the ground," said Dingell. "The bottom line is the Bush
Administration refuses to admit it is not getting the job done."
"It is irresponsible of the Bush
Administration to continue putting our communities' public health and
environment at risk. Without the funds necessary for cleanup, the nation's
worst toxic dumps will remain a hazard to our communities," said Solis.
Although EPA contends that funding for new
projects may be forthcoming, this has not been the case historically. Three of
these priority new project requests have received zero funding over the past
three fiscal years (Continental Steel in Indiana, and Hart Creosoting and Jasper
Creosoting in Texas). An additional 10 projects have received zero funding for
the last two fiscal years.
- 30 -
|